Friday, February 19, 2010

We had caprese and fruit for dinner tonight (a summer meal in the middle of winter, go figure). What we call caprese is fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil (or pesto), and balsamic vinegar on lightly toasted baguette. The fruit was kiwi and blue berries, and tonight the balsamic was the last of a reduction I made several months ago.

Eric ate possibly more than we did -- I think I gave him fourths before he was done. I didn't give him any basil until he pointed and hesitantly asked for lettuce. He particularly liked the balsamic reduction and when he wanted more, pointed to his plate and then the bottle and asked "more .... wine?". Good guess. He dipped everything into the vinegar, including the fruit. This makes more culinary sense than one might think, since balsamic vinegar is often served with fruit in Italy and a reduction is even sweeter.

1 comment:

Danielle Athanas said...

This is another one of those Eric stories that made Steve and I go "Aaaw!". I love hearing about how he's learning, guessing, and learning some more. :)

Post a Comment