Sunday, February 7, 2010

State of the Bathroom
Pics will go up tomorrow.

Tiling: We have finished all the tiling except the top row of bullnose edging, the (cut) edging at the side of the accent strip, and the sides and bottom of the window enclosure (which probably won't be tiled but will instead be framed with marble, granite, or solid surface). We'll need to borrow our friends' wet saw for these tasks and mix more thinset (which means buying another bottle of latex additive; we have enough powdered thinset). After that I can grout, and after that dries for 24-48 hours, I'll seal the grout and we'll be done with tiling.

Rest of cement board: There's still a 6"x5' strip at the top of the back of the shower that Greg needs to cut and install, and two small (8"x15") sections, one on each side of the tub from the edge to the ground that we'll probably want to do in cement board to prevent water damage from tub splashes. Then I need to tape the seams and let that dry. Then we need to cover the rest of the exposed cement board with thinset and let that dry. Then we cover it with a thin coat of drywall compound, let that dry, then prime and paint it.

Drywall: The drywall needs to be screwed down in many places, and there are two small areas of patching that need to be done (including behind the sink around the plumbing). In one area, we may need to toe-in a small piece of 2x4 to give it something to be screwed into. We need to double check why you can get a shock from touching the box around the light switch (I'm guessing a wire is not correctly grounded/shielded and is touching the metal box). Then I need to tape and sand and re-mud and resand the drywall. Then prime and paint.

Final touches: Put sink back, attach to floor, wall. Examine floor -- needs replacing? Attach towel bars, toilet paper roll, rehang medicine cabinet.

My goal is to have all of this done by the time Kyle arrives. At a minimum I want the shower done by the end of next weekend. I think this is achievable, especially if I can do tiling, taping, mudding, and grouting when the Eric's in daycare (T, Th, F of this week). This is contingent on us buying the marble/granite/solid surface and more latex additive, and borrowing our friends' wet saw (and Greg having time to cut the last few tiles and the window framing.

---------------------------

In other news, the chocolate chip cookies turned out well and we have a 1/2 batch of dough frozen for later use. Eric is nearly over his cold; we've stopped putting bibs on him because his nose is no longer runny. He coughs and sneezes occasionally, but otherwise seems well again. Greg and I are still fighting this thing and I expect the cough to linger. Blah.

Not much else is going on. I need to pack our bags for the hospital and put plastic on my side of the bed in case my water breaks while I'm in bed. Eric's bag is packed. We still need to put together the crib+rails to provide a (full) bed for my mom when she comes to stay (getting up off an air mattress on the floor is increasingly difficult for her), and we need to figure out how to support the air mattress on said rails -- either wood or a full-size box spring. My father will have to sleep on the floor (on the second air mattress); I hope he doesn't mind too much. We need to move the nursing chair into the nursery and put the rocking chair into Eric's room. I should really consider the issue of food when we get back from the hospital -- frozen purchased meals, frozen homemade meals, and/or friends who can bring stuff over. I'm also waiting on a new crib mattress from Alan; hopefully it arrives soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment