Wednesday, February 24, 2010

So Eric woke up last night at 11 crying and hot, and even refused medicine (which he never does). We got a fair percentage of a benedryl and motrin dose into him, then he quieted and Greg put him back to bed. He woke this morning without a fever (if he even had one last night) but coughing, sneezing, eyes leaking, and generally under the weather. Given that a couple friends have had kids recently go through a cold that starts with a cough and spikes a fever, I figured I'd better call the nurse and ask if Eric should be seen. I'd really hate to deal with a feverish toddler at the same time I'm bringing home a newborn. (newborn + fever = bad). The nurse said to be on the safe side and bring him in, so I scheduled an appt for 10:15 and plugged Eric into Cars (the movie) while we waited. A little bit later, he pointed to his left ear and said "ear full" or something like that; I thought "hmm, that's odd, he's never commented on that before. probably conjestion + better language skills."

He was a trooper at the doctor's. His chest is clear, his head is very stuffed. Fever of 101.3 -- aaaand an ear infection in the left ear. His first, lucky him. This came on suddenly (he only started coughing on Monday and this is Wed) so it's not a case of a cold hanging on for 2 weeks and getting into his ear. Given my delivery schedule (any time now, no predicting it), I allowed the Dr to prescribe antibiotics. I might normally wait a day or two to see if it starts to clear up, but not this time. Fortunately, he says the fever is due to the infection and isn't contagious, so we don't have to worry about Kyle or Greg getting it (or me). Eric was very excited to get his own medicine for the first time and drank it down. Hopefully this cooperation will last for the 2x/day for 10 days that he'll be taking the Amoxicillen.

Now we just have to make sure Greg and I don't get sick/er and hope Kyle comes soon(ish). I'm kinda hoping for some time between Thursday and Saturday. My OB appt is Friday 9a so if he hasn't come by then I'll get an update on his status and we'll see if I'm progressing or in a holding pattern. Either way, I'll probably start self-induction soonish (accupressure, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment