Friday, April 17, 2009

It was nearly 70 degrees today and lovely, so we celebrated with a trip to the ice cream stand. I got a kiddie strawberry (which is probably 1.5 cups of ice cream!), a spoon, and a regular cone. Then I scooped a little bit of ice cream into the cone and gave it to Eric (I get the rest).

The funny thing is, he didn't think it was food. He was extremely dubious about the cone, and about the ice cream in general. So I nibbled while he wandered. He came back and consented to try a little bit from the spoon, after he saw both Greg and I eating ice cream, and after he tried a little whipped cream from Greg's sundae. Ice cream was still cold and unfriendly.

I nibbled on the cone for awhile and he finally decided that if Mommy was eating it, it might actually be food (I remember doing this with early introductions of food nearly a year ago). I had gotten the rim nibbled off about 3/4 of the way around, so he had an edge he could bite onto. After a couple of test nibbles, he decided that this was yummy after all and eventually finished the entire cone.

By the time he was 1/2 way down the cone, he didn't want to let go of it, even to be buckled in or unbuckled from his carseat. This first foray wasn't even that messy. I call it a win. See pic on flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment