Monday, December 21, 2009

Dental appt went surprisingly well today. This morning as I was getting him dressed, I told him what the dentist would do (open his mouth, count his teeth, brush them, floss) and told him that he should say "Ah!" for the dentist, and that the dentist is a tooth doctor.

Eric whimpered when he saw the dentist and we went into the room, but settled as I pointed out the Pooh pictures (I should start reading him the stories, and not the Disney ones either). I reclined on the dental chair and held Eric against me (horizontally above my tummy), with his head on my right shoulder and his arms pinned. I expected significant resistance and he didn't at first want to open his mouth, but then he didn't resist as the dentist counted his teeth (3 of his 4 two-year molars are erupting). The dentist got all the way through brushing his teeth to rinsing before Eric started squirming (and sometimes I even squirm when the dentist shoots water into my mouth, even with the suction). A little bit of fluoride glaze on the teeth and he was done. No cavities, yay!

Eric got a new toothbrush, fruit-flavored fluoride toothpaste, a dino-flosser, and got to choose a toy -- which he spent an inordinate amount of time at. I finally had to choose 4 toys and made him pick. He picked a water-filled fish with little beads inside that he could make move by pushing buttons that made the water move. He said "bye bye doctor, bye bye nurse" very well.

Afterwards we went to teppan for lunch, and he had fun watching the show. He ate all the food I gave him and asked for thirds on fried rice (not surprisingly). Once we got home it was naptime shortly thereafter. He woke crying at 1 hour, 1.45, and 2.30, at which point I got him up. I asked him if he had a bad dream and he said no. "Does your head hurt?" "(hesitant) yah." "Does it hurt here (touching his jaw)?" "(immediate) yah." So I gave him some motrin for teething pain. We've suspected teething pain on and off for a month or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment